Thursday, February 12, 2015

A TRUE LADY KNOWS WHEN TO SPEAK AND WHEN TO BE SILENT


SILENCE

When I hear the word "silence" I automatically think of three quotes which often have come into my mind since I have started to attempt to be a lady:

"Girls talk too much!" -Peter Pan

"If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man." (James 3:2)

 "There is a time for everything under the sun...A time to speak and a time to be silent."(Ecclesiastes 3:1/7)

There are in general two sorts of women.  Those who tend to talk too much and those who tend to not talk when they should.  Many movies, books, and people talk about this subject ALL the time!  Some people say, "Women should be seen and not heard."  Others declare, "Let them say what they like, it does not matter in the end."

Yet, neither of these is good or ideal.  A balance must be achieved whereby we do not speak out of turn and yet put in a comment or question when it is called for.  I think that almost everyone most likely knows a number of people on either side.

 I myself tend to speak out of turn too much.  This mostly happens when I become too comfortable with those people close to me.  This tends to cause more tension between me and those I love than with those whom I do not know almost at all!  Therefore I must learn to hold my tongue, and let others speak more than I do.

Yet, all the same, it would not be good for me (or anyone) to totally abstain from conversation with others.  We may meet people who need a person to talk to them and comfort them.  We may see someone in danger and need to call out.  Someone may ask us for help.  The list goes on.  These and many other instances are times that we would certainly fail in charity not to speak.


So, a proper balance of silence and speech is our ideal.  It is not an easy goal to obtain, but it comes with its benefits for is it not said: "He that keepeth his mouth, keepeth his soul; but he that hath no guard on his speech shall meet with evils."? (Probverbs 13:3)  So, certainly, we should learn to fight our inclinations (whichever it is to speak too much or be too silent), and thus gain our eternal reward!  Of course, with the help and grace of Almighty God.

No comments:

Post a Comment